Thank you to everyone who stopped by during the Newburyport Chocolate Tour! We received so many compliments on our chocolate olive oil cake that we have decided to share the recipe.
Olive oil cakes are are very popular in the Mediterranean, where bakers use local olive oil in their recipes rather than butter. Because olive oil is liquid at room temperature, it helps keep these cakes and baked goods moist after cooking.
Our take on this recipe includes a few Affamata specialties, including our Butter Infused Olive Oil as well as our Raspberry Dark Balsamic or Dark Chocolate Balsamic as a topping.
We would love to see how others modify this recipe with their own special ingredients or toppings! If you do make this delicious cake, please tag us @affamatanbpt so we can share.
From our kitchen to yours,
Karen & Katie
Affamata Chocolate Olive Oil Cake Recipe
Ingredients1-3/4 cups (210g) King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour
1 cup (198g) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
4 tablespoons (22g) unsweetened cocoa, Dutch-process or natural, sifted if lumpy
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon (14g) Affamata apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup (150g) Affamata butter infused olive oil
2/3 cup (151g) water
2 large eggs
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9” square pan.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, vinegar, olive oil, water, and eggs.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, stirring until thoroughly combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 24 to 28 minutes, until a toothpick or paring knife inserted into the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
7. When cool, cut into squares for serving.